Dr. Gupta is a board certified orthopaedic surgeon with sub-specialty training and expertise in shoulder, elbow, and hand surgery. His practice primarily focuses on shoulder surgery and complex reconstructive surgery. As one of only two active members of the prestigious American Shoulder and Elbow Society practicing in Orange County, he has a particular interest in shoulder replacement and minimally invasive/arthroscopic shoulder surgery. Other areas of focus include treatment of fractures, degenerative conditions, compressive neuropathies, distal radius malunions, and brachial plexus injuries.
Dr. Gupta's research interest includes both clinical and basic science. He has published studies on topics ranging from rotator cuff injuries to distal radius fractures. He is internationally recognized as leader in understanding and treating peripheral nerve and brachial plexus injuries and Surgical Simulation to help educate the next generation of surgeons. He is the Principal Investigator for the UC Irvine Peripheral Nerve Research Lab that has been funded with extramural grants for the National Institute of Health since 2000. This lab is focused on understanding nerve regeneration and Schwann cell control of neural injury.
Dr. Gupta received his undergraduate degree from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and his medical doctorate degree from Albany Medical College through the Accelerated Six Year Biomedical Program. He completed a general surgery internship, residency in Orthopaedic Surgery, and an NIH Post Doctoral Research Fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania. Subsequently, Dr. Gupta completed fellowship training in hand surgery/microsurgery at the University of California, Los Angeles, followed by an AO Fellowship in hand surgery/traumatology/shoulder at the University of Berne in Switzerland. He served in the role of Department Chairman for the University of California, Irvine from 2006 to the end of 2015. During his tenure as chair, the department rose from being ranked #128 by U.S. News & World Report to #40 and became the highest ranked specialty for UC Irvine Health.
Dr. Gupta is Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Anatomy & Neurobiology, and Biomedical Engineering. He has a very robust surgical practice- both at the University of California Medical Center in Orange and the Long Beach Veterans Hospital. He enjoys seeing patients with routine orthopaedic problems as well as tackling the most challenging clinical cases.
For more information please visit www.ranjanguptamd.com
- Albany Medical College
- University of Pennsylvania
- NIH Post Doctoral Research Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania
- Hand Surgery/Microsurgery, UCLA
- Hand Surgery/Traumatology/Shoulder, University of Berne, Switzerland
To date, no other orthopaedic surgeon has ever been recognized with all of the following awards:
- NIH Career Development Award from the National Institute for Neurologic Disorders & Stroke (2000)
- Marshall Urist Young Investigator Award from the Association of Bone & Joint Surgeons (2005)
- Kappa Delta Award from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery and the Orthopaedic Research Society (2006)
- Sterling Bunnell Traveling Fellowship from the American Society of Surgery of the Hand (2008)
- American-British-Canadian Traveling Fellowship from the American Orthopaedic Association (2013)
- Joseph H. Boyes Research Award from the American Society of Surgery of the Hand (2015)
- Andrew J. Weiland Medal from the American Society of Surgery of the Hand to honor a surgeon-scientist who has contributed a significant body of research that has advanced the science and practice of hand surgery (2016)
- Charles S. Neer Award from the America Shoulder & Elbow Surgeons for recognition of outstanding clinical investigation contributing to the understanding, care, and prevention of injuries to the shoulder (2019)
- In recognition of his clinical acumen and surgical skills, he has been selected by his peers as a member of:
- Best Doctors (2011-2020)
- Super Doctors (2012-2020)
- Oral Examiner for the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (2011, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2020)
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (2001 and recertified through 2031)
- Certificate of Added Qualification in Hand Surgery (2002)
- Member of American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons (2006)